Friday 24 October 2014

Fudge Slices - Traybake

When I was about 17 my after school job was looking after two early teenage girls. I would go to their house everyday after school until either their mum or step dad got home.

My little sister, Janis would also come to their house so that I could look after her too when my mum was working.

On Wednesdays we had half days at school, finishing before lunch. I got into the habit of buying Janis and I some lunch from a deli that was up the road from my school. We would have a roll each and a fudge slice. Their fudge slices were lovely. I don't think I had ever had them before and I don't really remember seeing them since until I was working in a school in Aberdeenshire.

At Mintlaw Academy, Aberdeenshire, the Business Studies classes would have to come up with an Enterprise Initiative every year. One year they came up with the idea of creating and publishing a recipe book. They invited all the members of staff to contribute a favourite recipe or two. I was very much into savoury cooking then, and  I added a Chinese recipe that I loved.

What was great about the book was that the recipes were tried and tested by home cooks. A lot of the recipes were family favourites, probably passed down from previous generations. Included amongst them was a recipe for fudge slices.

It had probably been 15 years since I had a fudge slice from the Deli in Currie, just up the road from the High School. But I thought these ones were a pretty good likeness. Regardless of whether or not they were the same, they were bloody delicious!

I've made this recipe A LOT, my mum now makes it and I've passed it on to Janis and my sister in law. I don't know anyone who doesn't like these. Elizabeth and Rebecca got one in her their lunches this week, and Jeff took some in to his work for his birthday.



I've made my own tweaks to get them just right.

Ingredients

  • 4oz soft margarine
  • 2tbsp sugar
  • 2tbsp golden syrup
  • 1 small tin of condensed milk
  • 9oz biscuits blitzed in the food processor
  • 1 pack of milk chocolate, melted to spread on top


Method

  • Melt the marg, sugar, golden syrup and condensed milk in a pan over a low heat.
  • Bring it to a gentle boil.
  • Let it boil for at least 5 minutes, until the colour has darkened to a caramel colour.
  • Take it off the heat and beat it with the electric beaters until it has thickened - when it's coming away from the sides of the pan. This will probably take about 5 minutes.
  • Add in the biscuits and mix well. The mixture should all come together like a dough.
  • Press and spread the mixture into a baking tray. I use a 30cm/20cm deep tray. I also line it in advance with clingfilm so that the edges are nice and smooth and it's easy to lift out of the tray to chop up when it's set.
  • Spread the melted chocolate evenly over the top.
  • Put it in the fridge to set.
  • Cut it into squares or rectangles, whatever takes your fancy. Small might be best because they are very morish!

No comments:

Post a Comment